Who is upgrading consoles to Next Gen this Christmas?

walkthroughs, hints, tips and glitches that are not Disney Infinity related

Postby PirateSteven » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:02 pm

I have a PS4 on preorder for "my son" for Christmas.

rank_deputy_ftb_10_lenny
PirateSteven
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:

Re: Who is upgrading consoles to Next Gen this Christmas?

Postby Woody7850 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:32 pm

If Wii U counts as "next gen" then hopefully.
I know you mean PS4 and Xbox One. I don't like those though.
Reach for the Sky! -Woody

rank_250
Woody7850
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby PirateSteven » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Wii U would count as an upgrade.

rank_deputy_ftb_10_lenny
PirateSteven
PSN ID:

Postby altiareagle » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:49 pm

For the PS4 I'll probably match half of its price, I'm around the same age my brother was which was the same thing dad did for my bro's a long time ago.
INfamous 3, gotta have! :)
Kinda tired.
Chat with me If you're tired too.

rank_1500
altiareagle
Location: Cushing, Texas. Where the coyotes wail and there isn't a steakhouse. Or Steak.
Main Console: PS3

Postby ronniedobbs » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:59 pm

Got my Wii U to keep my busy, I'm happy. And a much better Fall lineup tha the other two.

rank_100
ronniedobbs

Postby Kelleytoons » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:32 am

I'll be getting the XBox One (for use with Project Spark, naturally).

rank_250
Kelleytoons

Postby Paradox » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:52 am

I have a ps4 on pre order for launch day and will get di2 for it most definitely. Getting killzone shadow fall at first to play with.

rank_deputy
Paradox

Postby Nibelilt » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:25 pm

I had my Wii U since last year.

I'm interested in the other two... But no way I'm dropping $550/$600 for either.

I'm just starting to get tired of having to constantly update my stuff on consoles. I miss the days when I could just pop a cart in my GBA and have it flip past the logo and boot up the game. Now you need to go through menus just to have your game start loading. I know the old consoles had issues and aren't nearly as powerful as new ones, but the current gen ones just feel too much like multimedia devices, which PCs are always going to be better at. Also, new consoles have some fatal issues- the old ones did too, but on new ones, you have much more to potentially lose- like your digital downloads, and internally-saved game data.

I'm also really tired of games trying to be movies, if you know what I mean. Having stories that are good stories but don't really impact the gameplay, and would be better as movies. The Last of Us is a great example of this(I haven't actually played it, so forgive me for using this example, though it just looks like it would be better as a movie): a good story, but why not in a movie? It doesn't make the player a part of it, like, for instance, Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure did(YOU were a Portal Master, YOU were directly referenced in the story). They've been especially prominent for the last few years outside of a select few areas, which is why I stick to Ninty consoles. They're good at being able to a) make stories add to the experience when they are there (i.e. the stories in Zelda make it feel more like an ADVENTURE and give it cool lore) and b) not making the story a big deal when it really isn't nessicary/would be obtrusive and annoying(Super Mario). Indie games are also particularly good at avoiding this trap, and they're very common on PC with Steam and Kickstarter and whatnot. I don't mind a prominent story too much if it adds to the experience of the game or the game is awesome on its own, but there are many I would rather see become movies in games lately, and just stay out of my games where I want gameplay. At least give us an option to "turn off" (not skip) cutscenes, if your game is actually a good game and not a movie-in-denial.

I also don't have a big reason to upgrade either my PS3 or 360. While I would like to have the newer tech and newer games, I've barely scratched the surface of the old systems' libraries. I still need to play games like LittleBigPlanet which I know will be huge timesinks on their own. It's hard keeping up with every game I'd like to try as it is. I would be more willing to upgrade next year or something if PS4/XBone had backwards compatability with my physical disc collection, but they don't. >.>

I'm not saying Nintendo are a patron saint immune from these issues- because they're not- but I can only accept these problems so many times at once before it's too much to just enjoy my consoles. So I stick with the Big N, because they have consistent quality for the most part, and I like their games the best.

If it counts, though- I am going to upgrade to a Vita either for Christmas or my next birthday because I hate the thumb stick of the original PSP that I've been stuck with. :P
- STEEL YOUR BUTT -

Left DIF: bluntly, non-Infinity topics feel soulless

rank_1250
Nibelilt
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby Paradox » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:48 pm

^^ I skipped the whole PS3 and XBOX360 period. I just had a Wii, which I enjoyed when it first came out but after about 2 years I never turned it on again...

I'm considering getting a Vita as well since I am getting the PS4 because it may be cool with games like Killzone Shadow Fall being able to play them while away on the Vita. But with the PS Vita 2 being released in Japan just a short time ago, I feel like waiting for it to be announced for release here. The screen went from OLED to LCD but it is thinner, lighter and has an hour more battery life.

rank_deputy
Paradox

Next

Return to other video games and consoles